Dr. Sponzilli feels a genuine honor to have the opportunity to serve you. As a reflection of this, he has been awarded three separate board certifications to offer you exceptional care and expertise. Experience is critical when performing precision percutaneous spinal interventions and incisionless/ bloodless surgeries.
Dr. Sponzilli esteems himself as one of the highest volume providers of intervention spine care in northern California. Specializing in interventional pain care management, Dr. S has successfully performed over 1000 interventional pain procedures annually for the past 15 years since beginning his career at California Orthopedics & Spine in 1999. His special clinical skills include neurodiagnostics, peripheral nerve and joint blocks, cervical thoracic and lumbar epidural steroid injections, radiofrequency desensitization, fracture augmentation, percutaneous discectomy, thermal annuloplasty, and spinal stimulator implantation.
Dr. Sponzilli’s current research interest centers on novel regenerative therapies involving the use of advanced orthobiologic therapies, including IRAP1, PRP, BMAC, and ADSC for the treatment of arthritis, tendinosis, and degenerative disease. While these treatments can play a role in one’s recovery Dr. Sponzilli firmly believes in taking a broader whole life perspective identifying modifiable lifestyle factors that contribute to the development of injury and disease.
Dr. Sponzilli is a native of the bay area and lives with his wife and four young children.
In addition to his practice experience, Dr. Sponzilli is also involved with several professional organizations, including
- American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Fellow
- American Board of Interventional Pain Physicians, Fellow
- American Board of Anesthesiology, Pain Management Subspecialty, Diplomate
- American Academy of Physical Medicine Rehabilitation
- American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians
Dr. Sponzilli is also an active staff member at Marin General Hospital and Marin Specialty Surgery Center. Dr. Sponzilli’s work has appeared in many publications, and he has also offered his medical services to local organizations.
Dr. Sponzilli’s CV
- Fellow, American Board of PM&R, #5831. Expires Dec. 31, 2018.
Certified July 1, 1998, Re-Certified July 1, 2008.
- Fellow, American Board of Interventional Pain Physicians, Certificate #370.
Certified March 2007.
- Diplomate, American Board of Anesthesiology, Pain Management Subspecialty, #183. Expires 2021.
Certified Sept. 15, 2001, Re-Certified 2008.
- Member, American Academy of Physical Medicine Rehabilitation, ID# 63745.
- Member, American Academy of Pain Management, ID# 00035861.
- Member, American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians, ID# 2006312.
- CA License G078425
- DEA BS4278049
- Fluoroscopy Supervisor License # RHC 144714
- UPIN #: G66122 NPI: 1497709984
- Staff Physician, California Orthopedics & Spine, Larkspur, CA, March 1999–present.
Spine Care, Pain Management, Neurodiagnosis; Active Staff member, Marin General Hospital, Marin Specialty Surgery Center.
John Keohane, MD, Chief Executive Officer
Neurodiagnosis and Electrophysiology; Interventional Pain Management including Spinal Diagnostics, epidural, radiofrequency therapies, intradiscal therapies, spinal augmentation.
- Intervention Pain Management Clinical Instructor/Quality Assurance Supervisor.
Instructor, International Spinal Intervention Society, January 2008.
Marin Specialty Surgery Center: 2001 to present.
UCSF/American Society of Anaesthesia, Oct. 2003: Intradiscal Therapies (Nucleoplasty).
Arthrocare Cervical Nucleoplasty Discectomy: 2005.
Pleasanton Surgery Center, Sept. 2003: Intradiscal Therapies (IDET, Nucleoplasty).
Kaiser Permanente-Richmond, Oct. 2002: Radiofrequency Lesioning.
- Associate Physician, Kaiser Permanente, Richmond Campus, 1997–1999
Director, Division of Spine Medicine.
901 Nevin Ave., Richmond 94801
Timothy Batchelder, MD, Physician in Chief
- Urgent Care/Occupation Medicine Physician
Advantage Care Health Care Network, Los Angeles CA 1994–1997
- Artificial Intelligence Software Engineer
Department of Risk Management, Kaiser of Walnut Creek, CA 1987
- UCLA Multicampus PM&R Residency Program, 1993–1997
Director: A.M. Erika Scremin, MD
Dept PMR, West Los Angeles VAMC W117 Wilshire and Sawtelle Blvds, Los Angeles CA 90073
- UCLA Dept of Neuroscience Master’s Program, 1995–1997
Director: Igor Spigelman, MD
Dept Physiological Sciences, 405 Hilgard Ave, Los Angeles CA 90024-1568
Thesis: Calcium Chelators in Brain Resuscitation
Additional Coursework in Pain Physiology, Neurodevelopment/Regeneration, Myology,
Brain Mapping/Imaging, Neural Rhythmicity, Learning & Memory
- Kaiser Permanente San Francisco, 1992-1993
Internship, Department of Internal Medicine
2425 Geary Blvd., San Francisco CA 94115
Director: Aileen Dillon, MD
- Albany Medical College Albany, NY Medical Doctorate, 1992
Albany NY 12208
University of California, Berkeley: B.A. Applied Mathematics/Computer Science, 1985
Berkeley CA 94720
- Sonosite Musculoskeletal Ultrasound, Sept 2009, San Francisco, CA
Director: Don Buford, MD
- American Society Interventional Board Review, March 2007. Memphis TN.
Director: Prithvi Raj, MD
- American Society Interventional Pain Physicians Certification: Memphis TN, March 2007
Directors: Prithvi Raj, MD, and Gabor Racz, MD
- Advanced Bionics: Spinal Cord Stimulation. Henderson, NC. April 2006
Director: Dr. Joseph Dunn
- Stryker Intervention Pain: Vertebroplasty. Palo Alto, CA Oct. 09, 2004
Director: John Mathis, MD
- International Spinal Injection Society: Discography. Memphis, TN, Oct. 2003
Director; Charles Aprill, MD, Program Director
- International Spinal Injection Society: Radiofrequency Lesioning. Memphis, TN, Oct. 2002
Director; Charles Aprill, MD, Program Director
- Arthrocare Spine: Cervical Nucleoplasty. UCSF, Oct. 2003
Director: Richard Derby, MD
- Lumbar Nucleoplasty. San Diego, CA July 2002
Director Sam Maywood, MD
- Clinical Education Services: Radiofrequency Lesioning/Intradiscal Therapies, Chicago, IL, Nov. 2001
Director: Bhupinder Saini, MD
- International Spinal Injection Society: Advanced Cervical Injections, New Orleans, LA, Oct. 2000
Directors: Robert Wright, MD and Ray Baker, MD, Program Directors
- World Institute of Pain: Advanced Pain Management Technique, Hungary, Sept. 1999
Directors: Gabor Racz, MD and Prithvi Raj, MD
- IDET/Lumbar Disc Puncture Workshop: Stanford University, March/July 1999
Director: Joel Saal, MD
- Dept Anaesthesiology, West Los Angeles VAMC, 1995-1997
Director: Kevin Win, MD
- Rancho Los Amigos Medical Center, 1993–1997
Director Jacqueline Perry, MD
- 10th International Clinical Neurophysiology/EMG Symposium, October 1995
Director: Jim Kimura, MD
- Stanford University Musculoskeletal Pain Update, March 1995
Director: Elaine Date, MD
- 1994-1997: UCLA Dept. of Neuroscience/Physiology Science
Neurophysiology: Conduction Master’s/PhD level basic science study on brain resuscitation
in ischemia and anoxia.
- 1991: Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY
Bioengineering: Examined principles of prosthetic design
- 1991–1991: Radiation Oncology Center, Walnut Creek, CA
Epidemiology: Retrospective case analysis on 208 prostate cancer patients
- SCS and Gangliolytic Therapies in Chronic Pelvic Pain, presented at the Marin Pelvic Pain Society, 2008.
- Radiofrequency Neurolysis, presented at the UCSF Spinal State of the Art Series, 2007
Drs. David Bradford, Philip Weinstein Moderators
- Nonoperative Spinal Interventional Care, presented at Marin General Hospital’s AB487 Pain Lecture Series March 2004.
- Spine Care Update, presented at Marin General Hospital’s Grand Rounds, February 2000.
- Spine Care Update, presented at Novato Community Hospital Grand Rounds, July 1999.
- ‘POEMS Syndrome: Electrophysiologic and Neuropathologic Correlates,’ presented at the 43rd American Association of EMG Symposium. October 1996, Minneapolis, MN.
- ‘Phreno-Musculocutaneous Synkinesis,’ presented at the 10th International Congress of Electromyography October 1995, Kyoto, Japan.
- ‘Hypometabolism of the Caudate in Post Stroke Depression,’ present at the Association of Academic Physiatrist Annual Congress, March 1995, Scottsdale, AZ.
- ‘Fuzzy Sets and Their Application to Rheumatologic Diagnosis,’ Student Paper Competition, 15th Annual Symposium on Computer Applications in Medical Care, sponsored by the NLM/NIH, Washington DC, Nov. 1991
- ‘Methods for Modeling Soft Tissue Hysteresis,’ Rensselaer Polytechnic, NY, 1992
- ‘Acute Onset Dementia in a Bipolar Patient,’ presented at Albany Medical College Psychiatry Annual Retrospective in 1991
- 1997: Public Health: “Wellness at the Workplace,” “Reducing Job Injuries”
Richmond Chamber of Commerce
- 1995–present: Sculptor/Art Auction-Fund Raiser Donator
Taylor Foundation for Pediatric HIV, Lafayette, CA
- 1986–1987: English Teacher
Xi’an Foreign Language Institute, Xi’an, China
- 1980–present: Youth Soccer Coach
Orinda Youth Association, Orinda, CA. Acalanes High School, Lafayette, CA. Lafayette Moraga Soccer Club, Lafayette, CA. Bethlehem Youth Soccer Club, Bethlehem, NY. Real Madrid Soccer Club, Los Angeles, CA
- 1983–1985: Summer Camp Director/Administrative Board Member
Lafayette Moraga Soccer Club, Lafayette, CA
- 1985–1988: Coaching Instructor
California Youth Soccer Association, Northern California Region
Junior Olympic Soccer Player
U.S. Junior Olympic Team, USA
- 1996: Best Research in Progress, UCLA PM&R Program
- 1991: Reader’s Digest International Medical Assistance Program
- 1985: US Olympic Committee National Coaching Award
- Mandarin Chinese proficiency
- Computer Engineering