The ability to change a person’s life for the better is the reason Dr. Shukla pursued becoming a surgeon. He believes in treating all his patients like friends and family and always seeks to provide the best care possible for every individual he encounters.
Dr. Shukla grew up in the Chicago suburbs and attended the University of Illinois at Chicago for both undergrad and medical school, graduating from the latter with honors. There, he fell in love with orthopaedic surgery and traveled to Boston to complete his residency at Tufts New England Medical Center, followed by a Fellowship in Arthroplasty at University of California San Francisco. After practicing general orthopaedics with an emphasis on joint replacement in Nebraska for 6 years, he is happy to return to the Bay Area with his wife, who is currently a pharmacist at UCSF.
With an expertise in all facets of joint replacement, Dr. Shukla is looking forward to providing care for patients in Marin and the Bay Area. In addition to general orthopaedics, his specialties range from minimally invasive joint replacement to periprosthetic fractures to computer navigated and custom joint replacement.
Outside of clinic and the operating room, Dr. Shukla enjoys spending time with his wife and can be seen hiking or up in the sky – our surgeon is a huge fan of aviation and happens to be a IFR rated private pilot! They both love the outdoors and are excited to relish in all the nature that the Bay Area has to offer.
Dr. Pinak’s CV
- University of Illinois at Chicago, BS Biochemistry with highest distinction
- University of Illinois at Chicago, MD with honors
- Residency – Tufts New England Medical Center
- Fellowship – Arthroplasty at University of California San Francisco
Dr. Shukla believes in developing treatment plans centered around patient-centric care. He performs general orthopedic procedures in addition to treating injuries such as periprosthetic fractures. His specialties include replacements of the knee and hip, with specialized training in minimally invasive joint replacement and total hip replacement from the anterior approach.
ABOS certified until July 2026
Honors/Awards & Professional Societies
- Hirsch Family Award
- Norman Nachtrieb Award
- Richard C. Kolze Service Award
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- American Association of Hip & Knee Surgeons (AAHKS)
- Shukla, P., Maged Hanna, M., Nandi, S., A Systematic, Anatomic Approach to Acetabular Preparation During Total Hip Arthroplasty Submitted Arthroplasty Today 2019
- Smith E., Matzkin E., DiSegna S., Shukla P. Closure Time Analysis of Traditional Suture Methods versus Barbed Suture in Total Joint Arthroplasty 2014 Feb
- Bono J. , Talmo C., Robbins C., Shukla P. Can Femoral Nerve Catheters Improve Range of Motion and Reduce Need for Manipulation Following Total Knee Arthroplasty? 2011
- Shukla, P, Mann S., Braun, S., Gholve, P.Unilateral Hip Reconstruction in GMFCS IV-V Spastic Cerebral Palsy with Unilateral Hip Involvement: Predictors for Ipsilateral and/or Contralateral Hip Failure 2013